Jo’s passions for animals, their welfare and making a difference started at an early age, from rescuing injured animals and birds, to falling in love with everything equine; she has strived to make a positive impact on the world around her.
Involved in working with horses since childhood, Jo has amassed over 27 years of equine knowledge and experience. Having worked in a variety of spheres, she has gained extensive expertise, skills and specialist qualifications.
- Rider – In her younger days she worked with and trained young and problem horses. Jo has competed in the disciplines of dressage, show jumping, cross-country, showing and side saddle. She is now enjoying working with her horse Harley.
- Instructor – From the early days of working on yards, Jo spent many hours teaching, which she thoroughly enjoyed. After an absence, she has started to take this up again.
- Yard Manager and Groom – Jo worked her way up the ladder from stable-hand to manager, and has worked with horses and on yards in the UK, Ireland and US.
- National Diploma Course Manager, Tutor and Lecturer for equine qualifications (Further and Higher Education).
- Editor of a number of specialist equine sport magazines and websites.
- Writer, producer and co-ordinator of equine educational material – literature, film and audio.
- Charity / Welfare – working in the field, undertaking evidence collection, presenting the case for welfare improvements and developing long-term practical solutions.
- National Equine Welfare Council Management Board (2007 to 2011).
- BA Degree in Equine and Business Studies
- HND in Horse and Business Studies
- BHS Intermediate Stable Manager (BHSInt SM) and Stage IV Riding (plus BHSAI).